Mummified Sausages 17/10/2017, Recipes
Halloween is a great time to have some fun cooking with kids. Why not celebrate with some spooky recipes? Made even better with the use of local ingredients. These mummified sausages are a great centrepiece for a Halloween party. You will be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to make puff pastry from scratch. Find our video tutorial on the fresh-range.com YouTube channel.
Tip: For ultra-realistic eyes, use small balls of white fondant with an edible ink pupil. For easier and healthier eyes, use courgette and olive slices!
- 250g Organic Strong White Bread Flour
- 250g Butter
- 150ml Cold Water
- 450g Chipolata Pork Sausages
- 1 Courgette
- Organic Just Kalamata Olives
- Organic Tomato Ketchup
- Begin by making the puff pastry. Sift the flour into a bowl. Dice the butter, and then rub the cubes into the flour. It's important that the dough isn't smooth at this point, and that you can see small pieces of butter.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and pour in 50ml of water. Mix the dough, adding more water if needed.
- Cover the bowl with cling film, and sit the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cover a surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a rough rectangle. Once rolled, fold the top third towards the middle, and then the bottom third towards the middle, over the top of the other layers. Rotate the dough 90 degrees clockwise, and repeat the process, folding the top and then bottom towards the middle. You might find it helpful to watch our video to clarify this step.
- Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with clingfilm and sit in the fridge for a further 20 minutes.
- Whilst your dough is in the fridge, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Flour a surface, and roll the dough into a sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into long strips of approximately 1cm width.
- Wrap the chipolatas in the strips of dough, and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, and allow to cool.
- Whilst the sausages are cooling, prepare the eyes. You can either use small balls of fondant, or courgette and olives. Slice the courgette, and dice two olives into very small cubes. Using a large drinking straw, cut circles from the courgette slices to form the whites of the eyes. Using a small amount of ketchup, affix an olive cube to the courgette circle to form the pupil.
- When the sausages have cooled, stick two eyes to each using a small amount of ketchup.