Chickpea Burger Recipe 21/08/2018, Recipes
Combine chickpeas, fresh herbs, and vegetables with some spices and you have a delicious vegan alternative to the traditional burger.
Ingredients - serves 5/6
- 1 red onion
- 400g chickpeas
- 1 red pepper
- 100g chives
- 100g fresh coriander
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Handful Jumbo oats
- 4 floury baps
- Drain the chickpeas and briefly blitz in a blender with the coriander. Don’t over do the blending! You want the texture to be coarse not smooth.
- Finely chop the onion, red pepper and chilli and fry in a little oil with the ground cumin until soft.
- In a bowl, add the chopped chives to the fried onion mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Add a generous handful of oats and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Shape the mix into four balls of equal size, and press flat into a burger shape, approximately 2cm in height.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a frying pan.
- Fry the burgers for approximately 5 minutes on each side, until they are browned.
- Layer the burgers in the baps with lettuce leaves and tomato slices.